Sunday, November 1, 2015

Honoring the founders of Autistic Community. Whom I feel grateful to & for on Autistics Speaking Day.

Cara Flower writes "Honoring the founders of Autistic Community. Whom I feel grateful to & for on Autistics Speaking Day."




I know there are many others who have worked to make autistic community happen, I will speak of some I know...
In the beginning three autistic adults got together and formed a friendship. That was good, not only for them, as it resulted in the formation of A.N.I. Autism Network International. This was the first attempt at creating a "safe" place for autistics to get together. We did so via a web site, newsletter and email list groups. This led to a desire to get together "IRL" which led to the creation of Autreat. (An annual gathering planned and managed by & for autistic people and our friends.) The first Autreat was held in 1996, the last in 2013. Even tho Autreat is now defunct, its history and impact needs to be remembered. This is how we found each other, over many miles and difficult obstacles. To the founders of A.N.I.I want to say "Thank You" for opening the door to the possibility of acceptance. Thank you Donna, Xenia & Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.