Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Respect

In her own words, Amy Sequenzia wrote this poem "as I wrote many others, to show that even autistic people who carry the label of “low functioning” can think independently, even if we need more help to make our voices heard. I am a free thinker and I will not be stopped by awkward looks of pity or by disrespect. I am more than my needs and I am slowly showing my real self. I hope you enjoy it." 
 
Respect

Copyright 2011 by Amy Sequenzia

A moment of sanity in the conversation about respect
Ask me the question, listen to my answer
That’s respect

A moment of love
Look into my eyes

See my soul
A moment of connection

I am who I am and I hope to be respected
I am all my abilities, including my disabilities
I expect to be heard

What you see might not seem much
This is not my fault because
“Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”

So, be daring, be special and try to see beyond the cover of my being
Wise thoughts lie beneath
Warm feelings waiting to be shared
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.